8 reasons why everyone should learn a language
There are many reasons why everyone should be learning another language – here are 8 of them:
1. Speaking other languages helps you stand out from the crowd and it is a very impressive achievement.
2. Open yourself up to a world of new career opportunities. More companies than ever have a global outlook. If you learn the language, this could be your chance to make that move to your dream job abroad. You can even start learning in the UK and continue with the same tutor online once you have relocated.
3. You can develop 4 key skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking
Learning languages is good for the brain!
4. Speaking more than one language increases your brain capacity. Speaking foreign languages improves the functionality of your brain by challenging it to recognise, negotiate meaning, and communicate in different language systems. This skill boosts your ability to negotiate meaning in other problem-solving tasks as well. With Commercial Language Training Ltd you can chose the course that is best for you. For example, weekly lessons, intensive training, Online or Intensive English Immersion.
5. You can stave off Dementia and Alzheimer’s. Several studies have been conducted on this topic, and the results are consistent. For monolingual adults, the mean age for the first signs of dementia is 71.4. For adults who speak two or more languages, the mean age for those first signs is 75.5. Studies considered factors such as education level, income level, gender, and physical health, but the results were consistent.
6. Improve your memory. Educators often compare the brain to a muscle, because it functions better with exercise. Learning languages involves memorising rules and vocabulary, which helps strengthen that mental “muscle.” This exercise improves overall memory, which means that multiple language speakers are better at remembering lists or sequences. Studies show that bilinguals are better at retaining shopping lists, names, and directions.
Meet new people and embrace new cultures
7. It is an ideal way to meet new people and to discover different cultures whether for travelling or for relocating to a new country. Spanish telecommunications giant Telefónica frequently relocates Spanish employees to the UK. Many of them do not speak English but have undertaken English training with Commercial Language Training Ltd and are now very happy and settled in their new life in England. They also have gained plenty of British friends who have introduced them to the British culture. Laura Cerdeira (wife of a Telefónica employee) commented on the English lessons for her daughter – “I am very proud as Manuela was nominated Head Girl of her school. I have no doubt these English lessons supported her journey and confidence!”
8. Avoid being a typical Brit abroad – the locals will warm to you more if you make the effort to speak even a few words of the holiday location language. In addition, the friendly locals might take you under their wing and show you some of the local sights and culture which you may never have seen otherwise!
Contact us now to start your language training!